Thursday, August 17, 2017

Digital Dozen Does Story Genres; Day 2


I am seriously behind postings for this weeks story genre challenge for Digit-al Dozen....I hope you have been enjoying the other ladies mani's because they have been awesome!  

I have the mani's done but haven't done the posts so I do hope I get some time here and there to catch up soon!  This is my day 2 mani representing the story genre of westerns.  I had a couple thoughts here....when I was researching all the different genres, I discovered I pretty much only read fictional romance type of books.  I read a wide assortment of authors who have many different writing styles, but that is pretty much my preferred genre. As I wanted to link or tie the mani into each genre but because I read such a limited genre of books, this was going to be hard!  So I got to thinking about books in different genres even though I may not have read them, which lead me to thinking about my grandpa who had a library at his house which was full of books that included a wall full of Louis L'Amour western novels....it seemed like he had hundreds of them and I know he read them all!  I'm guessing westerns was his favourite genre!  What fond memories it brought back of me thinking about how I used to borrow books from my grandparents and go into the library and get them and then talking about them!  There's a great probability I read a Louis L'Amour western or two way back then!  My preferred genre is more fictional romance type of books as I mentioned already, but I know I've read romantic westerns as one of my favourite settings of books is back in the 1800's or earlier as I'm fascinated to read how they lived way back in the day!  Anyway, this is my western genre mani; I hope you like it even though I can't really tie it into a recent novel I've read!  Here's what I came up with!


Started with a sponged gradient base using Nicole by OPI In the Moment, China Glaze I Just Cant-alope, Essence The Green & The Grunge and Essence I'm a Marine Girl.  I wasn't overly pleased with this look initially as I was going for the time frame of dusk and the yellow/orange wasn't enough and the dark blue wasn't enough but oh well, this is how it turned out so I went with it!  This is the problem with trying to do a gradient using 4 colours on my little nails lol!


Topped with KBShimmer Clearly on Top.


Added images from CNF 002 with Fig Tree Stamps using Mdu 2.


Added a coat of KBShimmer.



I thought I was finished, but you know me....my preferred style is busy as anything and I'm not a fan of open voids!  So decided to take the mani another step by colouring in the setting sun which I did with the same polishes, Nicole by OPI Bee in the Moment and China Glaze I Just Cant-alope.  Then stamped in stars from Sugar Bubbles SBS 07.  This took foreverrrr to make sure just the right amount of stars were in just the right spot; the stars alone were probably a good 15 or more individual stamps!  And even though stamping image wise these are pretty much the smallest star images I could think of, they do look like pretty big dollops of snow...like a big snow flake!  *Sigh*  Anyway, I still like the added touch of the added colour.  I also have to say that I was disappointed how the gradient turned out on the thumb, but when I actually look at the finished mani, I like how there is the teal, then the blue, then the teal again because it kinda looks like the Northern Lights sky!  To me anyway!


So proud of how the thumb turn out!  Love it!


Sugar Bubbles SBS 07



Topped with another coat of KBShimmer Clearly on Top.


Decided that this is one of those mani's that might look best in matte, so topped with a coat of OPI Matte.  I can't decide which version I like better; the matte or shiny as I think they both have something going for them.  However, I did wear the matte version for a few days.  Matte, you can see some of the gradient a little better and it highlights some of the stamping and it kinds looks older or more vintage or aged which is how I see the settings of westerns, so I might prefer the matte version by a smidgen!


My favourite nail again!


The 4 nails, more monotoned look!



Here's the other ladies day 2 mani's!


Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog! I do appreciate it and read every one. Please note that comments that contain any links or spam that I deem inappropriate to the post will be deleted. My email is mrsrexy at gmail dot com if you need to reach me. Thanks!