Thursday, July 26, 2018

Shark Week!

It's Shark Week on Discovery this week and while I have meant to do a themed mani for years now, I never got around to it.  But when I sat down to do my nails a couple nights ago, I thought tonight is the night; I'm doing it (well, that was after I spent the night before looking through all the plates to find theme appropriate plates and images...that probably took longer than to do these nails!).  Here's what I came up with!


Started with a sponged gradient using Zoya Blu, China Glaze Bahamian Escape, LA Girl Disco Brites Funkadelic and LA Girl Disco Brites Dance Studio.  I think this is one of the first times that I was able to do a quad gradient and you can actually see all the colours in the gradient.  Yay me!  Even on my shorties!  As a side note, the LA Girl Disco Brites worked really well for the gradient and what was good about them is that they are highly pigmented but thin so worked well for the gradient and the cleanup was easy and clean with no dark blue ring at the cuticle, if you know what I mean.  Even though I did use latex barrier, rightttt up against the cuticle still usually has polish and it removed easy peasy on the thumb as it was thin.  I hope I remember this for future gradients!


Topped with KBShimmer Clearly on Top.


It might not look like it, but this mani was a lot of work! I made a stamper decal for the index finger with the the top half of an image from Creative 51 after shrinking image using a really squishy stamper head.  I did try to double stamp it onto another stamper to correct the way it places like the stamping plate but that was a no go. Applied it to index, then stamped the lower portion of the nail with the wave image from Creative Shop 28 using MdU 3.  Middle image is from Creative Shop 85 again using MdU 3.  Stamped thumb using Painted Polish Stamped in Clay but it was too faint, so stamped on top (not quite a mirror image but I'll call it that anyway; it wasn't intention, just necessity to see it!) using an image from Creative Shop 02 and MdU 2.  On ring, stamped image from Cheeky CH38 using Painted Polish Stamped in Clay, then mirror stamped using same image using MdU 2.  Lastly, on pinky, stamped waves from Creative Shop 28 using MdU 3, then singled out an image from BFF 17 using Painted Polish Stamped in Clay, then mirror stamped using MdU 2.  For added interest, stamped birds twice on pinky using Painted Polish Stamped in Stone using image from Infinity 58.  I'm sorry I didn't do my step by step pictures as I usually do but hopefully you can appreciate that this mani took a long time do do as well as plan out, pick out stamping colours, etc. and it was 1:30 amish when I finished so it was late and I just wanted to get it done so picture taking took a back seat, sorry.  Oh, and I also spent some time setting up new lighting and then I tried 3 different lighting areas each time I did take pictures so that took some time too, in my attempt to get better images and less lobstery looking hands!  I swear, my hands do not seem this red in real life lol!


BFF 17


Creative Shop 85.  There's also another shark image on this plate but it was too cartoonish for the look I was going for but maybe another time, I'll use it.



Creative Shop 51



Bundle Monster BM-503 (even though I didn't end up using it, it might be used for reference if someone is looking for shark images).


Topped with KBShimmer Clearly on Top to finish.


I haven't watched Shark Week every night this week but have seen some of the shows; notwithstanding this, I do have a great interest in general of shows involving sharks (and whales, orcas and marine life in general) and have watched my fair share of shows in the past.  One thing is for sure; I certainly do hope I never encounter one in the wild!

Thanks for looking...and enjoy the rest of Shark Week!

2 comments:

  1. Such a fun mani, and I love looking at all your plates ... I still don't see how you can keep track of all the images. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the design! Those stamping plates look awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog! I do appreciate it and read every one. Please note that comments that contain any links or spam that I deem inappropriate to the post will be deleted. My email is mrsrexy at gmail dot com if you need to reach me. Thanks!