It's Day 4 of Digit-al Dozen new and improved challenge; here's another mani with a new to me technique being the straw splatter method. I know now why I've never tried this....far too messy for my liking! I didn't mind the end result so who knows, it might make a reappearance some day. Here's what I came up with!
Started with a base of two coats of Barry M Gelly Blueberry, no top coat.
I picked out a bunch of complementary colours for the splatter. My thought was do a dark over the light, then build up a little lighter as I went. This was me getting ready. I had seen a tutorial where you dip the straw into the bottle of polish but my straw was larger then the bottle opening. So thought I would blob some down and use it. However, in actual fact, you need a whole lot more of polish in a blob then what I've shown here to get enough to splatter. Wayyyy more than this because you need a good amount across the void opening on the straw to get it to whoosh everywhere. There were soooo many times I blew with no results! After I did these nails, I seen a gal who just brushed some on the straw directly from the bottle and I will try this next time. I think; if I ever do again lol!
So this was the disastrous mess I came up with after blowing so much I was light headed. I have no idea how many times this was but this seems like many times that made it to the nail never mind the many times I blew and nothing came out or it went everyplace but on my nails. I think the really big blobs were blow fails but had to live with them as really, no way of fixing them but to just do another blow on top of the first blow. Anyway, I eventually thought I had enough coverage and just decided to live with it. I used Girly Bits Border Patrol as barrier and even though I did what I thought was a good distance, I still blew polish all over my nails. And other places too. What a mess! The polishes I used were all Barry M Gellies; Prickly Pear, Blue Grape, Blue Plum and Blackberry.
This was after cleanup as best as I could do anyway.
Topped with Girly Bits What A Rush QD TC before stamping.
I thought this might be a cool base for the water marble image that ironically I have never used before either. Used the image from Born Pretty BP-41.
Stamped using Funky Fingers Gesso.
Top coated with Girly Bits What A Rush QD TC to finish.
All in all, I think the end result was pretty cool but man, what a lot of blowing, polish, mess and clean up. If I try this again, I'll try a shorter straw (hoping I will get more hits as I had a lot of misses where nothing came out or it missed my nails entirely), and putting the polish directly across the bottom of the straw with a brush versus dabbing the straw into the polish. I am positive I will never dip into the polish unless it is some old random polish that I can easily replace or don't need to as I think it would use a lot of polish unnecessarily.
Here's the other ladies Day 4 mani's!
Thanks for looking!