Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Playing with Old Dusty Polishes

I'm sure you're tired of me commenting how I'm getting more into layering recently...and trying to combine a cool layering combination with some interesting stamping. So not too long ago, I spent a bit of time (who am I kidding...a lot of time!) in one of my local dusties riffling through the bins looking for polishes that I thought could be interesting for layering. This is the result of a few of my finds.



I'm not a terribly creative or visual person; I can't look at polishes and think, well this will look cool with that on top...my brain just doesn't see those unique layering possibilities...so I spent a couple of hours...yes, hours...at the store, picking up the polishes, shaking them up, tilting them, looking at them in different angles and lighting...I'm sure the sales ladies thought I was a little kooky! Good thing it was a place that I frequent often and they know me well as 'that polish lady'...nothing annoys me more then when I'm hurried along in my polish shopping when looking at polishes...typically the smaller beauty shop supply places that watch over me when I'm in the store like I'm a shoplifter...I hate that!

Anyway, these were a few of my purchases....blah in a bottle I tell you!




And my experimenting when I got home. Um, I guess I bought quite a few bottles, eh? Lol!





All I can say is thank goodness these look so blah in the bottle...which I'm sure is why these older polishes are so plentiful in my area...because I'm sure if everyone could visualize their gorgeousness when layered, everyone would have snatched them up already! I'm not sure how well you can see this, but if you look in the very far left hand corner, you'll see my swatch of a cool, glitter polish I found with diamond shaped glitter in it...it was terribly goopy and thick when I bought it, but came back nicely with some thinner. I've yet to use it on a mani though.

After I finished playing with them and decided which polishes to use, I started my mani using one coat of Wet n Wild Black Creme.



Did the layering using the selected dusty polishes.



Bottle pix of the polishes I used for this mani. A couple of these had more colour than the rest of the blah in a bottle ones, but they were too sheer for my liking without doing a lot of coats, which is why I picked them up for layering. These are the five bottles I used for my mani; the first one is on the middle finger (Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Xtreme Wear Lemon Lime), the second on the thumb (Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Xtreme Wear Hot Magenta), the third on the pinky (Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Nylon, Balance Fr., colour #4363-12; has a 12 on the top of the lid), fourth on index (Sally Hansen Hard as Nails New Lengths Ceramics, Sheer Glisten, colour no. 6212-01 and has a 01 on top of lid) and the last one was on the ring finger (Rimmell 60 Seconds, Pulsating)**.



Then stamped using Black Konad special polishes with QA 17.


I'm not sure if you can see this well, but the stamping polish kinda shrunk and cracked after I stamped on the middle finger, which you can see in the above pix right at the tip. But I just touched it up with a bit of polish and you can't even tell in the pix below.



So simple and cool....I can't wait to try out more of these dusty finds including seeing how they look over colours other than black!

Thanks for looking!

**Post was edited to include names of polishes on nails (Feb 24 2012).

28 comments:

  1. Those look great layered! so many polishes are blah in the bottle/worn alone, but POP when layered over something else.
    Gorgeous mani!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is spectacular! I love that star stamping and the colours really pop :-) I like the fact you still get use out of old polishes

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks super awesome! Really well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea!!
    It is so beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow it looks very nice i love the blue and teal one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It look beautiful - and it must have been a fun process too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! That is an amazing idea!! I love the way this looks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this looks amazing! i like taking my time looking at polishes too.. i hate feeling like people are watching me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome, looking at the bottles you can't tell that you achieved this amazing result.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, that is really neat! I wasn't expecting the sheer colors to be layered between black. From your first picture I thought they were foil-polish stars on black! I like the one that turns out to be such a peppy yellow over black! Very nice work! =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, those colors are really awesome layered over black. I didn't think you would get the results you did!

    Also, I love the stars on your mani :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun mani! Are you going to share the names of the layering polishes or do I have to guess? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. KarenD: When I was swatching, I never took note of them because I swatched a lot of them...but I should be able to figure out which ones I used and update it the post.

    I thought of this too when I posted, but wanted to get a post up versus having that dreadful Mardi Gras mani on my homepage! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing! I love the colours with the black.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So awesome!! I have a bunch like that, which I layer, and your fabulous many is so inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! I like how it truned out. Amazing job.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I tagged you for the 11 Questions Tag! Check out my post here: http://needmorenails.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/11-questions-tag.html.

    cheers :)

    xoxo Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Never in a million years would I have thought the colors you used would look like that over black. Thank you for sharing this because now I am totally inspired to buy the blah polished and experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love these!! Such a fun mani. Stars are so cute ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is so cool! It's amazing how those sheer colours are like, meh, but then over black BAM!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome!This is why I have such a hard time getting rid of some of my sheer polish - the possibilities are endless!

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow!!! u r soo creative! I also need to try something with my oh-so-meh polishes.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those are such great finds! It is amazing the possibilities these polishes have!

    ReplyDelete
  24. aaaaaaaand now i need that plate.
    and pulsating.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog! I do appreciate it and read every one. Please note that comments that contain any links or spam that I deem inappropriate to the post will be deleted. My email is mrsrexy at gmail dot com if you need to reach me. Thanks!