Wednesday, February 18, 2015

A Love Story

I had ordered a few Serum No. 5 glow in the dark polishes in January and was finally able to use them a week or so ago.  I did this mani with the hopes for sharing at Valentine's Day; I've shared a few pix of the base and some of the stamping on IG but haven't done a blog post about it. Until now; that is! Not very Valentine's Day-ish anyway!


Started with a base of two coats of OPI My Boyfriend Scales Wall to make brights pop; no pix.  Wrapped nails with glue remover.  Waited to dry before sponging; once it was dry enough, sponged on a gradient of Serum no. 5 Solar Power, Orange You Sunny and Infared. I had a terrible time with the glue remover.  First of all, when I posed for this pix, the glue stuck together where my fingers were touching so started to come off in pieces...then I could not for the life of me get it to come off in one piece but rather bits and pieces.  Just had a terrible time getting if off overall.  I haven't used the glue enough to know if my coats were too thick, too thin or what but it took me longer to get off the glue bits then without any glue at all.  


This was after a lot of cleanup; and still not the best.  I found the polishes pretty thick and I did fairly generous amount of sponging, mainly because I wasn't happy with my gradient. Even here, it's not the best but because I knew I was stamping on it and would cover a great deal of it, left as is.


I had bought a black light thinking that the glow in the dark would show up best with it....and it does, but man, the skin colour is off the charts!


I wasn't sure if top coat would affect the glow in the dark, but top coated anyway as I knew I'd be stamping and it helps as a protective layer if I have to remove a mis-stamp.


Pleased to report that top coat didn't effect the glow at all!  


It was around this time that I thought this must not be how you use the black light for taking these pix; so I charged the polish using the black light then moved my hand away from the light into a dark void; this is the pix taken after charging.  Sooo cool to have colours glow in the dark versus the more typical blues and greens!


For stamping, used black Konad special polish using Universe Polish UP Love-01 and Pet'la LE Silhouette plate.  Touched up some stamping voids with a brush.  (I wonder if they know that "Univrse" is a typo on the plate?)


Top coated with KBShimmer Clearly on Top to finish.


Pet'la LE Silhouette



UP Love-01





Black light before top coating.

Charged with black light but taken in the dark.  Can't tell if top coated or not lol!


I have so many ideas on how to use these polishes for stamping!  While I only picked up the neon colours; I do want to eventually get the pastels too!

Serum No. 5 polishes are available directly from their online shop; I ordered most of them direct and they do ship internationally.  Other stock lists include Harlow & Co., llarowe and Hypnotic Polish.

Thanks for looking!

4 comments:

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog! I do appreciate it and read every one. Please note that comments that contain any links or spam that I deem inappropriate to the post will be deleted. My email is mrsrexy at gmail dot com if you need to reach me. Thanks!